Thursday, July 17, 2014

Structural Integrity and Paint.

 It has been a little bit of time since I have last updated all of you. But yes, I have been working everyday for a few hours on this structure.

The window frames are in! Mostly. There are a few openings at the bottom that I still need to decide, as the kit allows for a few options. I can make them a solid brick, or a window section with brick like the rest of the structure, or even a loading dock! Im doubting that I will put in a loading dock in all four openings, only in the right side that is next to the loading dock area.
The left side of the building, also has window frames and painted brick with aged concrete. It is still a little awkward looking. The windows are not even one each half. But each half is a mirror of each other.

In the back, on top and bottom is styrene to reinforce and strengthen it.








 For the roof section on the right side of the second story. I devised a tab locking section to hold the roof straight with the wall. There is a gap between two styrene strips that are used to reinforce the wall. I glued some square beams to on the underside of the roof to fit right into the grooves. I still need to construct/frame the back to it will stay up.
 Here is an inside view of the loading dock. The styrene was painted with Model Master Concrete colored acrylic paint. Under the entire structure is a .010" thick. styrene that holds everything in place; Glued to that is the loading dock and .040 styrene. I made cuts to allow the track to fit in, then on top is the painted styrene which is also .040 thick. The white I-Beam is glued onto the wall/window sections, the roof just rests on top of it. Still am deciding how I should paint the ceiling and what color. 
From the top with the loading dock area roof off. There are styrene rectangle beams used for a few reasons on top the back end that buts against the second story. I offset them so the roof sections now fit in a certain way. I know the roof will probably be black, but here again, I am currently not sure if the beams will blend in with the roof or with the aged concrete. 





For the far side where the truck docks are located I scratch built this corner-piece to hold up the roof section. Since the story is that the peterson tool specialty is an add on my story for this little piece is for some "seismic retrofitting" on the older section. I may or may not put in some angled crossbeams to really simulate structural reinforcement. 
  





The section will also remain as a separate piece front the structure (okay at least for now). I can't glue it to the ground because of how I remove the second story that is over the loading lock area, that part slides out. The little piece is held into place by the concrete ground styrene, it drops into a channel. 






Speaking of the wall section sliding, here is picture proof of how its rigged. An I-beam installed for reinforcement extends past the end of the wall; on the connecting wall is a perfectly sized hole for the beam to slide in. I may add second one just to be fool-proof. But for now this is working swell. 







It might be a little hard to see, but the American Tool Supplier wall actually drops and locks into place. I cut a small notch here and there so it drops in perfectly and is held at a 90 degree angle (more or less) on all sides. Off on the right side you can see the left side wall section sitting on the loading dock with the I-Beam protruding past the side. 

Last for this post is some of the back structuring I have scratch-built primarily to hold up the roof on the Left wall section. Unlike the rest of the roof sections on the right side, the left side roof was constructed using the roof that came with the Walthers kit instead of plain white styrene. Although It will likely never be seen, I plan to detail the brick on top facing the wall just as I am the rest of the building, even touching up some areas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment